Threshold’s Housing First project shortlisted for national award for work with women offenders
Our Housing First project which supports women offenders with complex needs in Greater Manchester is a national finalist in this year’s Homeless Link Excellence Awards.
The awards celebrate some of the best work in the country to support those experiencing homelessness and we’ve been shortlisted in the ‘Innovation in Housing’ category which recognises projects with a different or enhanced offer for people who have traditionally been ‘hard to house’.
Our project started as the only one of its kind in the world to support women offenders experiencing entrenched homelessness.
It uses successful Housing First models from Europe and the USA which have been adapted to suit a UK context and relies heavily on the Tsemberis model.
The project, run by Threshold as part of Jigsaw Homes Group, only offers permanent housing solutions to ensure women have a strong foundation so then can recover, stabilise and begin to develop aspirations above their most basic needs.
The service has delivered consistently high results including:
- 100% of tenancies sustained
- No re-offending
- No rent arrears
- Tailored and direct support to mental health services
Mushtaq Khan, Director of Threshold and Commercial Partnerships at Jigsaw Group said: “Our project really pushes the boundaries in how housing providers and the wider social care sector think about Housing First as model and it’s most certainly improving women’s lives.
“Threshold invested its own money to test this model and we’ve built this project up from the ground so it’s incredibly exciting to be shortlisted for this award.”
Threshold’s Housing First model has been accredited by the University of York as a high fidelity model and has influenced national and European debate around homelessness policy.
For more information, contact Anita Birchall, Head of Threshold on 0161 331 2820.
- about 5 days agoGood news for our customers in #supportedhousing as the uncertainty over funding has been resolved, #ukhousing. https://t.co/lmOJvrdcDH
- about 16 days agoRT @HF_England: Listen to @threshold76, who provide successful, gender-specific Housing First service for vulnerable women in Greater Manch…
- about 20 days agoRT @MayorofGM: "Can Greater Manchester aim to provide a bed for every rough sleeper every night of the week over this coming winter?" Andy…
Your support can go a long way to help change lives.Donate now
Stay in the know about our latest activities and projects.